Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology (BSMLT)
At career entry, the MLT will be able to perform routine clinical laboratory tests done in haematology, chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, immunology and coagulation. He/she will have gained basic laboratory skills required for entry-level positions in these and other emerging laboratory fields, such as molecular diagnostics. The responsibilities of the MLT include:
- Decisions concerning sample collection and handling
- Daily instrument maintenance and quality control
- Sample testing
- Collection and interpretation of data
- Maintenance of accurate records and reporting of data
- Knowledge of critical values
Medical laboratory technicians work in a hospital and private laboratories (clinical or research) or physician office labs. The level of analyses performed may range from point of care testing to complex testing, involving all major areas of the clinical laboratory. The MLT will have diverse functions in areas of pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical processes. In addition, the MLT will have responsibilities related to information processing, training and quality control within the laboratory.
F. Sc. Pre Medical or F. Sc. MLT from any recognized IBCC board with at least 50% marks
The main objectives of the MLT program are
- Prepare a cadre of Medical Lab Technologists who can effectively assist senior health professionals in the delivery of quality health services.
- Prepare skilled technologists human resources for all levels of the healthcare delivery system from primary to tertiary care level.
- Skill recommended human resources.
- Introduce and impart standard technical education with new modern techniques, within the fields of medical technologies, by replacing the conventional methods of pre-service training (certificate level).
- Provide Lab technologists with status and human resource recognition in the healthcare delivery system by improving their capacity along with increasing awareness of their responsibilities and job description.
- Equip the Lab technologists with modern skills and knowledge to bring them at par with other national and international standards
- To pursue excellence in education and research by developing a relevant curriculum, hiring talented faculty, creating a conducive environment and developing infrastructure to support quality education and research.
- To produce graduates who possess high-quality ability to contribute toward the development of society. The high-quality ability combines both professional and humanistic competence
- To educate the whole person rather than produce graduates.
- To encourage students to challenge current theories and practices.
- To encourage students to break new grounds and cultivate leadership quality.
- To promote awareness and importance of both education and research in achieving a competitive status among other nations.
- To relate fundamental concepts to practical applications, and provide students with the necessary skills to function as responsible professionals.
- To use a variety of modern mechanisms to adopt appropriate new technologies and methodologies.
- To analyze organizations’ information requirements and match them with available technologies and methods.
- To develop strong interpersonal and communication skills of its graduates.
Year 1 Semester 1
|LT107||Biochemistry - I||3+1||None|
|LT102||Human Physiology - I||3+1||None|
|LT103||Human Anatomy - I||3+1||None|
|CS100||Introduction to Computing||2+1||None|
Year 1 Semester 2
|LT117||Biochemistry - II||3+0||LT107|
|LT207||Medical Microbiology -I(For Non-MLT Students)||2+1||None|
Year 2 Semester 3
|LT217||Medical Microbiology -II(For Non-MLT Students)||2+1||LT207|
Year 2 Semester 4
|LT213||Clinical Virology And Mycology||2+1||None|
|LT216||Hematology-II(Non MLT Students)||2+1||LT204|
Year 3 Semester 5
|LT301||WBC and Platelets Disorders||2+1||None|
Year 3 Semester 6
|LT307||Medical Laboratory Instrumentatons||2+1||None|
|LT309||Immunology & Serology||2+1||None|
|SS401||Research Methodology & Professional Ethics||3+0||None|
|LT312||Advance in Medical Laboratory Technology||1+2||None|
Year 4 Semester 7
|LT401||Medical Laboratory Management Skills||2+1||None|
|LT402||Fundamentals of Infecton Control||1+1||None|
|LT405||Systemic Diagnostc Bacteriology||2+1||None|
|LT410||Cytology and Cytogenetcs||2+1||None|
Year 4 Semester 8
LIST OF ELECTIVES
Students are required to take courses from this list.
List of elective courses may be revised as per requirement.