Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) in Governance and Public Policy
Two year (2) M.Phil in Governance and Public Policy is a multi-disciplinary program that contextualizes and analyzes Governance and Policy issues pertinent to World in general and Pakistan in particular. The M.Phil in Governance and Public Policy Program at Abasyn University provides specialist studies in public policy, public administration and public governance of services at local, national and international level. The very program applies a social science perspective to the questions of Governance and Policy making in Pakistan and the contemporary modern states. This programme is relatively new in Pakistan and gradually has received attention within the academic spheres of the country. Abasyn University has launched the Masters programme for the first time in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and intending to launch the M.Phil in Governance and Public Policy after acquisition of N.O.C from the HEC. Understanding complex public problems and designing effective solutions for such problems is a challenging and toiling tasks. Multitude of subjects such as political science and public administration deal with public affairs in general but their central focus is not centered upon solving the public problems or analyzing how public institutions go about solving such problems. It is this gap which Governance & Public Policy as a subject seeks to fill.
Objectives and Learning Outcomes of M.Phil Governance and Public Policy Programme
The programme is innovative in nature and would therefore inculcate leadership qualities, managerial skills, public policy analysis skills, governance and analytical acumen among the students. It will draw upon faculty expertise to enable students to explore one of the most complex and fascinating regions of the world compelling them to address crucial political, economic and social issues confronting us in the twenty-first century such as the questions of the appropriate design of institutions, the management of contractual relationships, and the design of regulatory mechanisms and economic and sociological approaches to policy evaluation.
Appropriate Information Technology and Management (ITM) skills would be integrated into the program to bring about attitudinal change and develop professional expertise in promoting methods for efficient, judicious and transparent policy execution through Electronic Governance. The objective is that the students upon completion of the M.Phil programme would be able to do policy analysis and research independently. Following are the core objectives of the programme:
- Sensitizing the students to concepts and issues in the discipline of Public Policy and modern statecraft
- Developing the students understanding of the methodology and processes of Public Policy formulation and implementation in different political environments
- Enhancing the student's capacity to think and plan strategically and appreciate how various factors, internal as well as external, have bearing upon the policy process
- Providing opportunity to the students to study the socio-cultural environment, human Development and public service management, particularly in Pakistan, and understand how these factors influence the process of Public Policy formulation and implementation
- Improving students understanding of geo-political and geo-economic trends in a globalized world.
Scope and Job prospects of Graduates of M.Phil in Governance and Public Policy
Students who study public policy are driven to serve the public interest. They work in governments, non-profits, consulting firms and international organizations. They are social entrepreneurs, policy analysts, lead consultants to government and they hold public office. These graduates want to address the huge global challenges we face today. They use the same tools as their counterparts in business: quantitative analysis, economics, finance, management skills, etc., but they apply those tools to social problems. As a result, a public policy graduate is someone who can truly change the world.
A public policy degree is a vital component when it comes to preparing future generations to tackle some of society's biggest problems. By combining public policy with management, students gain strong skills - both quantitative and qualitative - that allow them to thoroughly analyze problems and develop effective solutions.
Public policy programs offer their graduates an excellent foundation for successful professional careers in the public sector, the nonprofit sector, and those parts of the private sector that supply consulting and other services to governments and nonprofits. To compare it with business administration programs, the public policy degree option often is better suited to public service. Comparing it with law school, public policy degrees include training in economics, policy analysis and statistics, and other vital skill areas that make the alumni competitive in the job market. If you seek a career that will "make a difference" then a graduate degree in public policy is the ideal option for you.
Governance and Public Policy (GPP) degree can provide the foundation for many careers in public and private sectors of the government, as well as nonprofit organizations. This degree sharpens leadership and management skills, emphasizing research, economics and statistical interpretation. Among the numerous job choices, GPP degree prepares the recipients for the following careers to work as:
- Political scientist
- Policy analyst
- Civil service administrator
- Social Researcher
- Governance Expert
- International Aid/Development worker
- Local Government Officer
- Policy planner in Government planning departments, Ministries and Attached departments
- Policy expert in Think tanks, research institute and Monitoring organizations
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in Heath, Social and Development Sector
- The candidate must fulfill the minimum criteria of HEC for admission in M.Phil program.
- Attained at least sixteen (16) years of education from a recognized University (Master's or four-year BS degree) in International Relations, Political Science, Peace and Conflict Studies, Diplomatic Studies, International Studies or in a relevant field)
- A minimum CGPA 2.50 (out of 4.0 in the Semester System) or 50% marks (in the Annual System)
- GAT-General Test with a minimum score of 50 is required at the time of admission.
- The applicants must provide official certificate showing percentage of marks obtained in MSc/BS Hons/4-5 years programme.
- No Objection Certificate from the employer is required to be attached with Admission Form and routed through Proper Channel in case of in-service applicants;
- The following are ineligible for admission in M.Phil programme:
-Those who have been rusticated or expelled from any university or College for misconduct or use of unfair means in the examinations or any offence involving moral turpitude;
-Those who were admitted earlier to M.Phil programme but later were declared to have been ceased to be students of the university;
-Those who are currently on the rolls of this or any other university
Curriculum for MS/M.PHIL in Governance and Public Policy MS/MPhil 2-Year Programme (30 Credit Hours)
Following is the scheme of studies for 2 - Year MS/MPhil in Political Science of 30 credit hours including 6 credit hours of thesis, which is compulsory.
List of Core Courses:
Given below is the list of the core courses to be offered:
1. Public Policy: Theories and Analysis (4 Credit Hours)
2. Research Methodology (4 Credit Hours)
3. Governance: Concept and Scope (4 Credit Hours)
Year 1 Semester 1
|GPP 200||Public Policy: Theories and Analysis||4||None|
|GPP 201||Advanced Research Methodology||4||None|
|GPP 203||Governance: Concept and Scope||4||None|
Year 1 Semester 2
|Optional - I||3||None|
|Optional - II||3||None|
|Optional - III||3||None|
|Optional - IV||3||None|
Year 2 Semester 3
Year 2 Semester 4
LIST OF ELECTIVES
Students are required to take courses from this list.
|Economics and Public Policy|
|Strategic Leadership and Governance|
|Technology and Public Policy|
|Institutionalism and Public Policy|
|International Trade Policy and Globalization|
|Issues of Governance in Pakistan|
|Dynamics of Policymaking in Pakistan|
|Local Governance and Community Development|
|Democracy and Institution building in Pakistan|
|Leadership Theories and Governance|
|Climate Change Policy and Governance in Asia|
|Environmental Governance in Pakistan|
|Water Policy and Governance in South Asia|
|Urban Development Policy and Governance|
|Migration, Citizenship and the City|
|Minorities and Public Policy in Pakistan|
|Heath Policy and Management|
|Monetary and Fiscal Policy|
|Social Policy and Social Administration|
|Education Policy Development: Higher Education Policy|
|Media and Information Policy|
List of elective courses may be revised as per requirement.